The Mill in Žakalj was the largest industrial flour mill in Rijeka. It was constructed in 1841 in the canyon of the River Rječina as one of the 27 mills built in the area, most of them in the mid-19th century. It was a part of the company Stabilimento commerciale di farine. After a fire in 1862 it was renovated and enlarged to six floors 90 metres in length and 25 metres in height. In its heyday it employed 300 workers who annually produced as many as 250 thousand truckloads of flour that was transported in barrels to Istria, Dalmatia, Trieste, England, Germany, France, Egypt and Brazil. The Žakalj Mill was a part of the Stabilimento company until 1881, but in the following year it became part of the new Mill joint-stock company. The mill was closed in 1894, and in 1918 it was sold to the Hungarian Beer Company from Budapest, which wanted to build a beer factory in Žakalj. But after the borders were moved following the war, the access road and the mill were suddenly divided between two countries, so the plans to produce beer could not be realised. Žakalj began to dilapidate. The high ivy-covered walls of the production building along the River Rječina are a reminder of its past. Today the mill in Žakalj is a romantic ruin.